Week 1 - Two Cultures

 C.P. Snow’s idea of two cultures needing to be more intertwined is a thought I’ve been pondering over this week ("This Month in Physics History"). As a molecular biology major, I empathize more with the scientific side of the argument, since I would prefer to think practically. On the other hand, when I question the purpose of art, I realize I would not be able to learn science without art! For example, this week, I learned about the polarity of water molecules through animations (Wallace). Having this visual resource helped me understand the material better.

Water-Elpot-Transparent-3D-Balls.png, Wikimedia, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Water-elpot-transparent-3D-balls.png. 

Then I started noticing that there’s more art in my scientific life than I had imagined. When walking through the engineering building at UCLA, I noticed a painting in the hallway:

Chotai, Vivek. Musée D'Orsay Paris. 2022.

I was surprised by this. Referring back to Professor Vesna’s second and third lectures, I questioned why I had dismissed art and focused on science instead–was it because of the stereotypes associated with being an artist ("Overcoming Common Artist Stereotypes")? My answer goes back to the place I grew up in, Milpitas, where we were taught to value STEM fields since they have the most financially stable jobs. In my mind, I still respect artists since they are able to express their creativity and emotions into reality, but the thought of a stable future would be safer. However, when I think of the way art and design is used in medicine, like the creation of the central line (a device used to administer drugs without having to poke a patient multiple times), I really gain an appreciation for art (Themes). Before I used to think that art and science were on different ends of a spectrum, but here is a real example of a medical device, using both cultures together, which ended up saving my life. Notice since the catheter is placed near the heart (design), the medicine will quickly be flushed out by the heartbeat (science).

Central Line (Central Venous Access Device), Saint Luke’s, https://www.saintlukeskc.org/health-library/central-line-central-venous-access-device.

Reflecting back on how my perspective has changed, I view art and science as very closely related now. I don’t think they contradict each other; in fact, it seems to me that using a combination of both will produce a better result than only using one culture (Williams). Going forward, I will think with the perspective that using art with science can enhance science. Using science with art can enhance art.


Works Cited

“Overcoming Common Artist Stereotypes.” GCU, https://www.gcu.edu/blog/performing-arts-digital-arts/overcoming-common-artist-stereotypes#:~:text=The%20Extreme%20Personality%20Stereotype&text=Often%2C%20the%20artist%20is%20portrayed,satisfied%20with%20their%20own%20work. 

Themes, UFO. “Central Venous Catheters: Materials, Designs, and Selection.” Thoracic Key, 26 July 2016, https://thoracickey.com/central-venous-catheters-materials-designs-and-selection/. 

“This Month in Physics History.” American Physical Society, https://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/201705/physicshistory.cfm. 

Wallace, David Foster. Properties of Water, 2005, https://www2.nau.edu/lrm22/lessons/water/water.html#:~:text=Polarity%3A%20Although%20the%20net%20charge,other%20and%20other%20polar%20molecules. 

Williams, Christopher. “A Dangerous Divide: The New York Academy of Sciences.” A Dangerous Divide: The Two Cultures in the 21st Century, 2009, https://www.nyas.org/ebriefings/a-dangerous-divide/?tab=overview. 







Comments

  1. I like how you started off by mentioning that it would be quite difficult to learn science without art. As a visual learner, I always find myself looking for diagrams to help clarify scientific concepts and didn't even realize until reading your post that these diagrams were created through the collaboration of scientists and artists. I also appreciate how you brought up the example of a central line to explain that the collaboration of science and art can lead to great advancements in fields like medicine. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I really liked your realization that you need art in order to understand what is going on in the complex biological processes that you study in your major. I really liked how you actually went into the physical landscape that surrounds you and looked for more art and were surprised to find it. I think that goes to show how many people actually rely a great deal upon art to construct the mental models that they use to comprehend what is going on in the world around them. Overall, thanks so much for your insights.

    Johnny Campos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your post was very insightful because it was very personal. You took what we learned and applied it to your personal experience and I think that shows how well you understood the concept of the two cultures. I think that your realization was that of many other. Art and science do produce a better result and art can enhance science. I thought your post was great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 7: Neuroscience + Art

Week 6: BioTech + Art

Week 8: Nanotechnology + Art